Do you want to change the shape of your nose? If so, you are not alone. A “nose job” is one of the most common plastic surgeries in the United States. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, more than 207,000 people had a nose job in 2019 alone.
Unfortunately, while it is an effective procedure to change the shape of your nose, many people turn their nose up at it. They look for other ways such as nose yoga or nose exercises. But do these exercises work? Let’s find out.
- Do Nose Exercises Work?
- Objectives of Nose Exercises
- Sharpen Your Nose
- Make Your Nose Pointed
- Make Smile Lines Less Visible
- Nose Exercises You Can Do at Home
- Nose Wiggling
- Reshaping and Slimming Down the Nose
- Nose Shortening
- Nose Sharpening
- Nose Bridge Lift
- Other Ways to Reshape the Nose
- Dermal Fillers
Do Nose Exercises Work?
Many websites, influencers, nose or face yoga teachers promote nose exercises as an alternative to rhinoplasty. You can see them everywhere on Instagram, YouTube, and other social media platforms. These people claim that nose exercises can reshape your nose by tightening the small muscles and skin around the nose.
Objectives of Nose Exercises
Your genetics determines the shape of your nose. By the time you reach the age of 10, your nose will have a prominent form. After that, it will continue to grow until you reach 19 years old. But as you grow older, the small muscles and the skin around your nose cartilage will sag, making your nasal tip droop and your nose look larger.
The objective of nose exercises is to tighten the surrounding areas of your nose cartilage to control the sagging. But it’s important to know that these exercises will not work overnight. You will not see visible results after a week of doing them as well.
You will need to be very patient and diligent to see results. Here are the objectives of nose exercises:
Sharpen Your Nose
The sharpness of your nose comes from the height of your nose bridge. The nose bridge is made up of bone and cartilage and therefore doesn’t move. But practicing exercises for the nose contract the muscles around the bridge.
When the muscles contract, they will tone and firm up, making your nose look sharper.
Make Your Nose Pointed
Aging causes the skin to lose its elastin, which is responsible for its elasticity. When this happens, the skin sags, wrinkles, and loses its plump. Since skin covers the nose, your nose tip and other parts of the nose will droop.
Nose exercises that push your nose tip in an upward motion can counter the drooping. So, the nose tip can look more pointed. Nose exercises that push your nose upward will give you a slimmer nose as well.
Make Smile Lines Less Visible
The skin is like a rubber band. You will lose its elasticity if you keep stretching it. For example, when you smile, you are stretching the skin surrounding your mouth and nose.
The more you smile, the more it stretches. Once you come back to the regular, not-smiling-face, the smile line will become deeper. Then, it sinks and droops.
Nose Exercises You Can Do at Home
There are other nonsurgical options you can do to change the look of your nose. But if you still want to try nose yoga or exercises to see if they are effective, here are some that you can do at home, in the office, or anywhere you are at any time of the day.
Nose wiggling is an exercise that strengthens and tones the muscles around the area of the nose. It’s so easy to do and the foundation of many nose exercises. Once you can do nose wiggling, it will be easier to control the movement of your nose.
Ideally, you want to do this in front of a mirror at first. But once you get familiar with this exercise, you don’t have to look in the mirror.
Here’s How to Do a Nose Wiggling Exercise:
Source: Goddess Oceana
- Face a mirror and bring your focus to your nose.
- Start flaring out the nostrils as wide as you can. Then slowly fasten the nostrils to the side. Make sure the other parts of your face are not moving.
- Do this for at least five minutes a day.
Reshaping and Slimming Down the Nose
This nose exercise will help in slimming down your nose. Just make sure that you breathe deeply and relax the other parts of your face as you do this, especially your forehead.
Source: Face Yoga Method
Here’s How to Do a Reshaping Exercise
- Start by making an “o” shape with your mouth.
- Then, look to the ceiling. Keep your forehead relaxed.
- Now, bring each point finger to the side of your nostrils and close your nostrils halfway.
- Breathe in and breathe out. As you exhale, contract your nostrils. Doing this will slightly widen your nostrils. Allow the nostrils to flare to the sides, but keep the point fingers where they are. The feeling is similar to having a resistance band around your nose.
- Do this five times a day for at least 10 seconds each time.
Aging can cause the skin on top of your nose bridge to droop, making your nose look long. This next nose exercise will prevent further drooping, firm up the nostrils, and make your nose look shorter.
Here’s How to Do a Nose Shortening Exercise
- Push the tip of your nose upward with your right index finger.
- Using your left thumb and index fingers, pinch the top of your nose. Make sure you’re not squeezing the nostrils so you can still breathe.
- Now, start focusing on your nose. Contract the nose and flare the nostrils. The nose will move up and down. Try to keep the other parts of the face relaxed.
- Do this exercise for at least five to ten minutes a day.
This nose exercise is for sharpening. It is straightforward and you can do it 20 to 30 times a day.
Here’s How to Do a Nose Sharpening Exercise
- Push the tip of your nose upward with your pointer finger.
- Inhale through your nostrils and smile as you exhale.
Nose Bridge Lift
Source: Masumi Channel
The nose bridge is a bone that you cannot adjust or reshape unless you get surgery. But here are a couple of exercises or massages you can do to make your bridge look higher. Some people who have tried the exercises below have seen results by diligently doing these exercises.
YouTube user Cyrel Buccat says, “I did this for almost one month, and I’m so happy my nose bridge became higher!!! My family and friends notice the changes in my nose.”
Shaira Mae also claims that she noticed her nose bridge looked taller after a week of doing the exercises. On the other hand, Wendy said not to rush and keep on doing the exercises as it took five weeks before she saw the results.
- Place your pointer fingers on either side of your nose bridge.
- Gently make small circular motions.
- Do this for at least five to ten minutes a day.
- Make a fist with your hands but keep your thumbs up.
- Now, point the thumbs down and bring them to either side of your nose bridge.
- Gently press the sides of your nose bridge.
- Do this for one minute at least three to five times a day.
- Press your thumbs down under the inner corners of your eyebrows.
- Do this for one to five minutes a day.
- Bring your index finger and thumb to the side of your nose bridge.
- Gently pinch this area and pull the skin up for a second before letting go.
- Do this exercise for at least one minute daily.
Other Ways to Reshape the Nose
There are a few other ways to reshape your nose in case the nose exercises don’t work. Here they are:
You will find many people on the Internet claiming that toothpaste can change the shape of your nose. Unfortunately, there are no scientific studies that prove these claims. But if you’re up for a home remedy and have time, you can try it.
Here’s How to Do It
- Mix one teaspoon of toothpaste, one teaspoon of grated ginger, and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a bow.
- Using a clean brush, apply the mixture around your nose. Leave the mixture on for at least 30 minutes daily.
Makeup works wonders in changing your appearance. Contouring is a makeup technique that is a great way to make your nose look the way you want it to look. Note that it will not change the shape in any way—just the look.
Here’s a great tutorial video on how to contour your nose based on your desired shape:
Source: Wayne Goss
If you want a semi-permanent way to change the shape of your nose, you should try dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are fillers that are injected into your nose to reshape it. It’s nonsurgical and takes only about 15 minutes.
It will make your nose look slimmer or straighter, depending on where the dermal fillers are injected. This procedure lasts for up to six months and is cheaper than rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty is the most common surgical procedure for reshaping the nose. There are two major rhinoplasty procedures. First is the open rhinoplasty, which you can get when you need a significant reshaping such as straightening your nose or reshaping your nostrils.
This procedure requires an incision between your nostrils to access the inside of your nose. The second is closed rhinoplasty which you can get for minor procedures. The incision is done inside your nose, so there is no scarring.
Septoplasty is another surgical procedure performed to reshape your nose. Doctors do this if you have a deviated septum or a crooked bone and cartilage between your nostrils.
Nose exercises are a popular fad. Unfortunately, there is no scientific evidence to prove that they work in changing your nose shape. Cartilage and bone make up your nose.
You cannot move them without surgery. But you have nothing to lose if you try nose exercises since you don’t have to spend money on them. The best way to get a quick fix though is to contour your nose using makeup.